Thursday, January 27, 2011

What are you looking at? You were expecting something?

funny pictures - We was told there'd be cake and strippers.
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

What?

Why are you looking at me like that?

Yes, I know I swore I'd run 3.5 miles yesterday, but that was written BEFORE 1 pm. Which was the time when, in the middle of the work day and indeed about an hour before I was due to give a technical presentation in the presence of several highly placed VPs and Very Important Personages, that my mother called me up at work, all frantic because they suddenly decided that they needed to reconfigure her router so that my niece could install a wireless card on her computer.

[Far be it from me to point out that one doesn't need to reconfigure the whole bloody router to install a wireless card on a computer that is in another room and indeed on another floor. I highly suspect that this person-whom-they-paid-to-do-the-install couldn't have bought a vowel if you gave him a wad of cash and the entire friggin' alphabet. But I digress.]

And after my mother in the Bay Area called me, then my brother (niece's father) in the Upper-Right part of California called me to try to perform a dual long-distance diagnosis of the problems. Then it was the turn of my brother in the Upper-Left part of the state, the one who'd actually bought and installed the damn router. [Note: these definitions of 'left' and 'right' do not reflect the actual political views of the brothers in question... oh wait. I just recollected their political views. Okay, let's just call it a coincidence.]

Then there was the long evening call to rehash all the things that the technician had done/not done/screwed-up-to-the-point-where-I'll-have-to-fix-it. I finally got to the point of saying Yes, yes, yes, I realize that all of this is terribly important and the fate of the free world depends upon it my niece will probably have to not wait until the last moment to do her work work hard to get her homework done on time. But that will have to wait for another night because ONE of us has to get up in the MORNing tomorrow.

And do a 3.5 mile run, damn it. At this rate, I'm going to have to declare Exercising an emergency in its own right.

Done! Took a longer lunch than usual, but lord knows I'll make that up pretty quickly. It was a beautiful day. It smelled like spring.

12 comments:

Judith said...

Hurrah for smelling like Spring! Well done on the run.

MCB said...

Sounds like a pretty good excuse to me.

Updraph - not a down draft

Keith said...

Spring is still well frozen, but were happy to see liquid water in places. Besides, routers are instruments of the devil and my system works a whole lot better without one.

The Merry said...

Routers, wireless networks, and Microsoft some of Satan's finest efforts. Only 2 hours being the computer support person tonight.

Anonymous said...

You are a GREAT daughter/sister/aunt and all of this will be recorded on your permanent record in the books were such things are kept. I promise.
Julie

Deborah said...

Merry, (is it ok if I drop the article?? Oh wait, is 'the' an article?)
I snorted (with laughter) at the title. How did it know this was my first time at your blog?

Very funny piece, and nice to see there's another woman out there who probably does her own plumbing, too. Thanks for your visit to my place.

messymimi said...

Great Job! Oh, on the tech help, too, i meant the exercise.

Declare taking care of your health an emergency, and 1,000 years bad juju to routers, wireless networks, and Microsoft, not necessarily in that order.

JavaChick said...

Smells like spring? We just got another 20 cm of snow yesterday. On top of the 40 or so we already had.

Oh Spring, wherefore art thou?

LaShaune said...

Great job on the 3.5 miles and taking folks off the router ledge.

There's a terrific book titled: I was told there'd be cake. I howled the entire time!

The Merry said...

LaShaune, I'm going to have to check out that book. Sounds just my style :)

JavaChick, I know! All the plants are starting to bud and are getting ready to bloom. I keep wanting to say Noooo! Frost is coming back!

MessyM, I need to find a way to combine tech support with exercise (exercising my patience doesn't count).

Deborah, I put the definitive article in the About Me section because there are so many Merrys out there in blogland. I don't usually use it in conversation :)

The Merry said...

Julie, thanks!

lora96 said...

I am not good with the electronic things.

Sadly in my family I am the only one who has any acquaintance with using them, so I get called upon to do things like download someone's nookbook that won't open or set up an ipod. Fortunately I can perform these rudimentary functions with a minimum of difficulty punctuated by loud cursing.

When my mom had trouble with her new iPad, I had to take it home and end up calling tech support (making me the first and only person ever tofind an iPad difficult to use) and the gentleman who helped me out was as patient as if I were a special needs toddler who didn't speak english well...which is probably what he thought I was.